Spicy corn & coconut soup
Coconut water fresh from a young coconut is my favourite summer drink, creating an exotic vibe when we can't go exotic lands 🌴. Leftover coconut meat can be blended in smoothies or this yummy soup (swap for a desiccated coconut if you don't have fresh one). The sweetness of corn and coconut paired with a variety of spices and chilli heat is a perfect combination. Feel free to change spices based on what you have on hand. You not gonna believe how delicious this soup is!
- 400 g frozen or fresh sweet corn
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2 medium-sized carrots
- 1 can coconut milk (full fat)
- 1 chilli pepper (omit or add more to taste)
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup young coconut flesh (can swap for desiccated coconut/coconut flakes)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt to taste
- Polenta for thickening (optional)
- 2 tsp Curry powder
- 3 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp Chilli flakes
- pinch nutmeg
- Hawaij spice mix, Garam masala, nutritional yeast or other spices to taste
- zaatar, coriander or dill, coconut flakes, chilli flakes (for serving)
- Slice the onion, grate the carrot. Heat olive oil in a big pot and sautee onions and carrots with a pinch of salt on medium heat till onion gets translucent.
- Add minced garlic, ginger and finely chopped chilli. Cook for a minute and add spices and coocnut, stir well.
- When spices get fragrant reduce the heat, add corn and more salt. Add 1.5 l of hot water or vegetable stock. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, mix well and taste for seasoning. Add more salt/spices to taste. Simmer for a couple more minutes so flavours incorporate.
- Turn off the heat and blend till smooth and creamy with an immersion blender. If you prefer thicker soup add couple spoons of polenta. Leave covered for 5 minutes
- Serve hot sprinkled with some zaatar, fresh herbs (coriander, dill), coconut flakes and chilli. Enjoy! This soup goes well with seed crackers or dark sourdough bread.