Hearty Greens Pasta
This comforting pasta dish is highly customizable and packed with healthy nutrients. Topped with crispy soy-glazed tofu or tempeh bits for extra deliciousness this is a great option for weeknight dinner - easy and quick to make. Cavolo nero or kale works the best but you can also use swiss chard, collard, spinach.
Servings: 2 portions
- 250 g whole-grain penne or other whole-grain pasta
- 250 g cavolo nero, kale or other hearty greens
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 small red onion or shallot
- 1 carrot, sliced into ribbons optional
- 1 lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp almond flakes
- nutritional yeast
- salt, black pepper, chilli flakes, onion granules to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 100 g tofu or tempeh
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Peel onion and garlic, Finely slice the garlic cloves and thinly slice the onion.
- Wash and chop the greens into bite-size pieces removing the stalks and thick veins
- Heat the oil in the frying pan on medium heat, add onions, garlic and carrot(if using), saute till soft
- Boil the water for pasta and cook according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside reserving half a cup of pasta water
- Add greens, salt, spices, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and zest to the pan as well as 2-3 tbsp of pasta water. Cook covered on a low heat for 10 mins.
- Stir in almond flakes, tahini, a splash of pasta water into the greens mixture, taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Cook till greens are soft.
- Chop tofu or tempeh into small cubes. Fry on a separate pan with a drop of oil till golden. In the end add the soy sauce and stir well.
- If the greens mixture is too thick/dry add a touch more olive oil and/or pasta water. Put pasta into plates and spoon over the greens mixture. Top it with the crispy tofu/tempeh cubes. You can also sprinkle over some vegan cheese or herbs. Enjoy!