Fusion Spaghetti with Red Cabbage, Shiitake and Miso/Peanut sauce
Some unexpected flavours in your pasta! Feel free to use rice noodles or soba for more "Asian feel". Quick, filling, vibrant and umami-packed dish featuring spaghetti with sauteed cabbage with woody spices, tangy miso soy peanut butter and crunchy topping. Yummy!
- 1/2 head sweetheart (pointed) red cabbage
- 1 medium onion (yellow or red)
- 5-6 shitake mushrooms rehydrated from dry or fresh
- 200 g wholegrain spaghetti or other long noodles
- 1 tbsp Oil (sunflower or grapeseed) or other neutral tasting oil
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Caraway seeds
- salt & pepper to taste
Miso Peanut Sauce
- 1 tbsp white miso
- 2 tbsp tamarind paste or lemon juice
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ cup hot water
- a pinch of cayenne/ chilli powder
Peanut breadcrumbs topping
- 1/2 tbsp sunflower or grapeseed oil or vegan butter
- 4 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp ground peanuts
- a pinch of salt and onion powder
- microgreens optional, for serving
- Warm up a tablespoon of oil in the frying pan. Peel and thinly slice the onion. Put into the pan with a pinch of salt and saute on medium heat.
- Discard the stems of shitake mushrooms and thinly slice them, add to the pan.
- Thinly slice/shred the cabbage (can use a mandolin if you have it). Add to the pan with onions. Add cumin and caraway seeds, salt and a generous amount of black pepper. Mix well. Keep sauteing on medium heat, stirring occasionally till cabbage gets soft (15-20 minutes).
- On a separate non-stick pan heat the oil and toast the breadcrumbs and peanuts with salt and onion powder on medium-high heat stirring constantly till golden. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Boil the water for the pasta and cook according to the package instructions (about 10 minutes for whole grain spaghetti).
- For the sauce combine all the ingredients in a small bowl, use a whisk to incorporate everything into a smooth sauce.
- Drain the pasta and return to the pot. Add the cabbage and sauce to the pasta, mix well. Serve generously topped with peanut breadcrumbs and microgreens.