Sour Cherry Soup
This delightful summer dish is served chilled and can be dessert or soup - you decide. Such fruit soups are popular in Hungary and can be made with various seasonal fruits - strawberries, peaches, plums, pears.
- 1 kg ripe sour cherries pitted
- 4 tbsp sugar or sweetener of your choice
- 2 tbsp wheat flour
- 500 g sour cream alternative soy or coconut
- 2 slices lemon
- 5 cardamom pods
- cinnamon stick, cloves, star anise, lemon zest optional
- 1 pinch salt
- Put cherries in a pot and cover with double amount of cold water. Add salt, sugar, lemon, spices and bring to the simmer over medium heat. It will take about 30 minutes. Turn down the heat to low and simmer for another 7-10 minutes till cherries are really soft
- Thoroughly mix sour cream alternative with flour (or cornstarch for GF), add about 1/4 cup of hot cherry liquid and mix to a smooth consistency, add more liquid if needed.
- Remove spices and lemon from the soup and turn off the heat. Mix in the sour cream mixture stirring well to avoid lumps.
- Let the soup cool to room temperature, then chill in the fridge for at least 3-4 hours. Serve with a dollop of sour cream sprinkled with shredded coconut or fresh mint. If you prefer it sweeter can add some maple syrup/agave before serving. Enjoy the taste of summer!
This soup can be made with various combinations of fruits and spices: - strawberry with vanilla and lemon zest. Served with mint; - sweet pear with cloves and cinnamon. Served with almond flakes; - peach with cinnamon, cloves and star anise Served with thyme.